- Sit in a comfortable Asana. Breathe in through both the nostrils forcefully, till the lungs are full and diaphragm is stretched.
- Then breathe out forcefully also, but see that the abdominal cavity does not blow up due to the air breathed in.
- Depending upon the capacity and health of an individual, this Pranayama can be done in three variable speeds viz. slow speed, moderate speed and at high speed.
- Diseases like cold, cough, allergy, asthma, respiratory diseases of all kinds, are cured. Lungs become strong and due to the heart and head getting adequate quantity of pure and fresh air, health is improved.
- Diseases of the throat like thyroid, tonsils and other ailments of throat are cured.
- Stabilizes Prana and calms mind, and helps the upward journey
- Those suffering from high blood pressure or from any heart disease should not do this Pranayama.
- While breathing in the abdominal area should not blow up. You have to fill the air in the chest area
- One must do this Pranayama for the duration of three to five minutes every day.
Kapal bhati Pranayam
- ‘Kapal’ means forehead and ‘Bhati’ means light.
- Hence, Kapal-Bhati refers to that exercise which makes the forehead luminous and lustrous.
- Kapal-Bhati Pranayama makes its Sadhak’s head luminous.
- in Kapal-Bhati more attention is to be given to the act of forceful Recak.
- In Kapal-Bhati, the Puraka(breath in) is to be done with normal, usual force but the Recak(breath out) has to be done with as much of force as is at your command.
- In doing so, the abdominal area, also makes inward and outward movements and considerable force is applied to the Manipura,Svadhisthana and Muladhara Chakra. This Pranayama should easily be done for five minutes.
- In short, breathe in normally and breathe out forcefully, so as to influence the organs of the abdominal area.
- Persons suffering from acute and chronic diseases must practice if for 15 minutes or more as per the capability.
- Face become Lustrous and attractive.
- Diseases related to Kapha like asthma, respiratory troubles, allergies, sinus, etc. are cured.
- Diseases of heart, lungs and brain get cured.
- Obesity, diabetes, flatulence, constipation, acidity and diseases pertaining to kidneys and prostate glands etc. are cured.
- If done regularly for five minutes daily, it relieves constipation, Blood sugar becomes normal and weight in the abdominal region reduces considerably. Blockages in the arteries are also cleared.
- Peace and stability of mind are achieved. No negative thoughts occur. Troubles like depression are cured.
- Chakras are purified and ¡¡chakras from Muladhar-Chakra to Sahsrar Chakra are filled with pious Cosmic Energy.
- Organs in the abdominal cavity viz. stomach, pancreas, liver, spleen, intestine, prostrate and kidney function more efficiently and develop immunity towards diseases. This is the best exercise; benefits accrued by this cannot be obtained by several other asanas. It strengthens the intestines and improves digestion.
- While doing this Pranayama think that while exhaling you are throwing all the diseases out of your body.
- Do this Pranayama at the start for a period of three minutes and gradually increase it to five minutes.
- Initially, if you feel tired in between, take rest for a while and resume.
- After practice of about two months, you will be able to perform this Pranayama for five minutes at a stretch without any fatigue.
- In the beginning, you may feel a little pain in the back or abdomen. But this will disappear after some practice. So do not give up.
Anulom vilom Pranayam
- To be done by closing the nostrils one after another, close the right nostril by the right hand thumb, and likewise close the left nostril by the 2nd and 3rd fingers (Madhyama and Anamika) fingers keep the palm of the hand in front just above the Nose.
- Prana breathed in through left nostril represents energy of the moon, which symbolizes peace, and has a cooling effect.
- Hence for purification of Nadis, beginning of this Pranayama has to be made by the left nostril.
- Close the right side nostril with the right hand thumb. Inhale slowly through the left nostril till the lungs are filled.
- Then close the left nostril with the second and third fingers.
- Open the right nostril and exhale through it. Repeat this exercise slowly in the beginning, and with practice, increase the speed.
- When you are able to practice this exercise for a long time, inhale with as much force as is possible for you, then exhale also forcefully.
- This practice of inhalation and exhalation alternatively through the right and left nostril, as indicated above with force, should be done for 3 minutes.
- If you feel tired, rest for sometimes and resume. Regular practice will enable you to do this Pranayama for 10 minutes.
- Regular practice of this Pranayama has the capacity of cleansing all your innumerable Nadis, which makes the body healthy lustrous and strong.
Diseases pertaining to urinary and reproductive organs are cured. Besides, regular practice of this Pranayama also cures diseases like cold, cataract, sinus, etc. which have reached a chronic stage.
- Blockages in the arteries of the heart are removed and the arteries become clean, making the circulation unimpeded. If this Pranayama is practiced for 3 or 4 months regularly, 30 to 40% of blockages in the arteries are dissolved and removed, preventing the phenomenon of heart attack.
- Pathogenic cholesterol, triglycerides, H.D.L. and L.D.L. also get controlled, making the arterial channels clear for effective and unimpeded flow of blood in the heart.
- Negative thinking is replaced by positive approach to life. It increases enthusiasm and spirit, the Sadhak becomes fearless and feels blissful.
- Breathe in till your lungs are full of air.
- Close your ears with both the thumbs and eyes with the middle fingers of your hands on respective sides with little pressure.
- Press forehead with both the index fingers lightly.
- Close both the eyes.
- Then press eyes and nose bridge from the sides with the remaining fingers.
- your mind on Ajna Chakra (between eye-brows) .
- Close your mouth.
- Begin slowly exhaling, making humming sound of a bee, while reciting “OM” mentally.
- Repeat the exercise 11 to 21 times according to your capacity.
- With the practice of this Pranayama the mind becomes steady.
- It is beneficial in conditions like mental tension, agitation, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.
- it is also useful for meditation.